Carlota Vacation Rental
Perched 500 feet on a hillside in the gated enclave of Upper Peter bay is an elegant, five-bedroom sanctuary in a mesmerizing setting.
Villa Carlota was lovingly constructed by a family whose dream was to create a stylish residence adorned with art and antiques collected from their extensive world travels. Luxurious Villa Carlota offers five large air-conditioned bedroom/bath suites in three pavilions. Through an electronic gate and from the driveway courtyard, a native stone entryway welcomes you; a graceful coralstone staircase curves down to the expansive terrace where an Italian baroque lion's head fountain spouts a bubbling welcome. A second Italian marble fountain gurgles at the pool's edge, a large infinity-edge pool which blends into the magnificent 180-degree view of Peter Bay below and the Caribbean Sea beyond, a vista dotted with the islets and cays of the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. All of the perfect National Park beaches, such as Trunk and Cinnamon Bays, are less than a 10-minute easy drive from Villa Carlota.
The villa's main pavilion, centrally air-conditioned with adjustable controls, features a spacious Great Room (the "India Room") which incorporates a large gourmet kitchen done with a cypress ceiling, Brazilian granite, custom mahogany cabinetry, and bordered by a long countertop with stools. Adjacent is the dining area where an 18th-century Balinese teak monastery door serves as the dining table; a convenient powder room is right around the corner. On the other side of the Great Room is the living area, set with comfortable sofas, chairs and a media center with a 50-inch flat-screen satellite TV, a Bose sound system, and extensive movie and music collections for your enjoyment. Louvered and screened mahogany doors open from the living area to the dramatic sweep of the deep covered verandah which overlooks the majesty of turquoise ocean views, emerald islands and blue sky. A large table on this verandah and artful lighting invite alfresco dining with a view. From the Great Room, an elegant curved staircase leads to the oversized second-level master suite and home office. This grand king master suite features a cathedral ceiling with Raffles East India fans, mahogany wood flooring, custom-made ceramic light fixtures designed by a local artist, and a Ralph Lauren four-poster bed. A large air-conditioned walk-in closet is adjacent. Mahogany doors open to a pergola'ed verandah on the ocean side of the pavilion, furnished with chaise lounges and looking out over the verdant National Park lands and the sea. The ensuite marble bath provides separate his-and her sinks linked by a massive wall-to-wall mirror, a jacuzzi bathtub, and a separate glass-and-marble shower with native stone accents. Just outside the master bath is Villa Carlota's roofed hot tub pavilion with a coralstone floor. Although the spa pavilion is off the master suite, anyone may access the hot tub from the driveway courtyard or from the Great Room with a key. Continuing up the winding staircase from the master suite level to Villa Carlota's third level, a second bedroom/bath suite, this one with a four-poster queen bed awaits; the views from this suite's windows are spectacular.
Back at the terrace and pool just outside the main pavilion, a green 'bamboo' marble wet bar awaits with mini-fridge and icemaker ready for poolside libations and evening cocktails. Behind the wall with the lion's head fountain is a stainless steel professional gas rotisserie grill built into a stone grilling area, which easily connects to kitchen and dining area via a rear hallway. The pool is sublime, reigning over an incredible long-distance panorama, and at day's end, a colorful swirl of tropical sunsets. Villa Carlota's second pavilion is on the other side of the pool terrace, offering two centrally-air-conditioned king bedroom/bath suites on two levels for excellent privacy. Each suite features a romantic four-poster bed with Vera Wang mattresses, a Chinese antique armoire, flat-screen satellite TV, and a private covered balcony just outside (the upper suite has both a step-out balcony and a pergola'ed verandah). Both suites' baths are done in Italian rojo alicante marble and hand-crafted cabinetry, each boasts a luxuriant overhead rain shower plus three body-massage jets in the wall. From the lower suite's patio, a secreted curve of three steps takes you right into the pool. On the lower level of this pavilion is the laundry room with two washers and two dryers; this area has a private service entrance so that the housekeepers may enter the house from the driveway courtyard without coming through the villa's main entry. A small exercise room adjoins the second pavilion, screened to let the tradewinds in.
The driveway courtyard has ample parking and turning space for three cars, and an outside shower for after-beach rinse-offs. Across this courtyard is the charming Cottage Suite, nicely secluded from the rest of the property. The air-conditioned Cottage Suite is distinguished by cool travertine tile, a living area with a balcony overlooking the main villa, a full bath, a small kitchen with a covered patio for alfresco meals, and on its upper level, a king (or two-twin) bedroom with a full bath, a large verandah off to its side, a step-out balcony in front, and an ensuite bath. Villa Carlota artfully captures five-star grandeur and magic with its fanciful castle turret, French terracotta tile roof, and fine finishes inside and out - be sure to admire the unique mahogany doors and windows, which are clad in bronze outside to match the bronze railings, and the harmonious use of Italian marble, native shell- and stonework and exotic woods throughout. Overindulge yourself at this beautifully-rendered masterpiece, sitting above it all on its green hillside, surveying the expanse of cerulean sea and sky. Villa Carlota approaches holiday perfection: five stars.
- 3 kings, 1 queen in the Main Villa's two pavilions, and 1 king (OR 2 twins, your choice with advance notice) in Cottage Suite
- 3 showers in main villa area have rain forest shower heads and jacuzzi spa bathtub in master bath. Cottage Suite has 2 full baths. Outdoor shower near carport for apres-beach use
- 6 satellite TVs (in main pavilion: a 50-inch flat-screen TV in Great Room + a 19-inch flat-screen TV in kitchen; a 32-inch flat-screen TV with DVD player in 3 bedroom suites), Bose Lifestyle 38 Home Entertainment System with 48-DVD digital storage system + 5-CD player, interior + exterior Bose speakers, radio, iPod docking stations in all bedrooms, books, movie + music collections, central A/C throughout villa (except in exercise room); home office off master suite with DSL connection for your laptop + fax machine with dedicated line, 2 phone lines, 2 answering machines, Wi-Fi throughout entire property; gourmet kitchen with Jenn-Air duel-fuel range + warming oven; poolside wet bar with icemaker + mini-fridge, + stainless steel gas grill with rotisserie nearby; hair dryers, a safe for valuables in each of 3 bedroom suites, 2 fountains in courtyard, exercise room (no A/C) with Precor Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainer EFX 5.17i + Precor Low-Impact Treadmill 9.35; assorted snorkel gear for guests, beach chairs; automatic generator; covered parking in driveway courtyard, dishwasher, laundry room with 2 washers, 2 dryers, microwave + a separate service entrance from driveway for villa staff/housekeepers. Fully A/C'ed Cottage Suite across driveway courtyard has a 32-inch flat-screen TV, stack washer + dryer, + small but fully-equipped kitchen. Electronic gate into property.
- Nearest Beach: Peter Bay Beach is below (you can drive down in less than 5 minutes), or drive to National Park's nearby Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay beaches
- 30' x 43' x 4 - 5-1/2' deep, T-shaped infinity-edge pool and hot tub in covered alfresco pavilion off master suite (hot tub can also be accessed from driveway area and from Great Room)
Staff and Services
- Housekeeping: 2 visits per week
- Children welcome
- No smoking
- Square Footage: Interior: 4750 + Exterior: 3350 = TOTAL: 8100 sq. ft.
- Upper Peter Bay is a gated community - gate is closed at all times.
Additional Villa Notes
- A 7-night minimum at full Thanksgiving rate required on all rentals which occur during any portion of the Thanksgiving holiday week.
- Rates are based on the highest occupany level during the stay.
- 4pm Check-In
|Now to May 31, 2018
Please Inquire for Availability
Contact About Availability
|Jun 1, 2018 to Dec 1, 2018
Rates are on Request
Contact About Availability
Rates for St. John villas are subject to 12.5% tax.
Security Deposit: $1,500
Minimum Stay: Minimum stay is 5 nights for low season, 7 nights for high season and Thanksgiving, and 10 nights for Christmas/New Year's.
Important! Non-USD rates above based on approximate currency conversion. Please confirm rate and currency with your Villa Specialist at time of booking.
The exact location of Carlota is not available on this map. The pin on the map below shows the approximate location of Upper Peter Bay, St. John:
There are currently no reviews.
There are currently no specials available for Carlota.
St. John Travel Guide
Pristine & Green
St. John isn’t only the smallest of the U.S. Virgin Islands – it is also, by far, the greenest. The lush Virgin Islands National Park takes up approximately 60% of the island, making St. John one of the most pristine, unspoiled islands in the Caribbean. The Virgin Islands National Park contains a staggering array of ecosystems, including forests, ponds, coral reefs, beaches, and mangroves. Take a tranquil walk through the park, lounge on the island’s legendary white-sand beaches, or take a kayak or boat tour through crystal-clear water.
Learn more about St. John »
Villa information may change without notice and should be confirmed with our villa rental specialists.